I’m always looking for some great books to pick up. If you’ve got a good recommendation – shoot me a note! (David@DKTraub.com)
Here’s a list of books that really stuck with me. Perhaps this is a better “about me” than any paragraph I could write.
Operations / Manufacturing
- A Study of the Toyota Production System – Shigeo Shingo
- The infamous green book! Equal parts dry and captivating.
- 2 Second Lean – Paul Akers
- Not the deepest book, but a great example of actual implementation which is refreshing in a sea of “theory”!
- All I Need to Know About Manufacturing I Learned in Joe’s Garage – William Miller
- Or simply, Joe’s Garage. Like 2 second lean, a great introductory book for the enthusiastic learner.
- The Goal – Eliyahu M. Goldratt
- The classic that introduced the Theory of Constraints. I find the fictional narrative a little clichéd, but the focus on flow is spot on.
- The Checklist Manifesto – Atul Gawande
Leadership / Development
- American Icon – Bryce G. Hoffman
- Just read it.
- The Fifth Discipline – Peter M. Senge
- The Power of Habit – Charles Duhigg
- Most of Patrick Lencioini’s books.
- I’m partial to the 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, but his writing is easy to breeze through and contains straightforward and actionable ideas.
- Leadership and Self-Deception – The Arbinger Institute.
- Emperor of Maladies – Siddhartha Mukherjee
- The Vital Question – Nick Lane
- Sense of Style –Steven Pinker
- Steve Jobs – Walter Isaacson
- The Death of Common Sense – Philip Howard
- The Power Broker – Robert A. Caro
- The Smartest Guys in the Room – Bethany McLean
- The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
- Name of the Wind / Wise Man Fears – Patrick Rothfuss
- The Once and Future King – TH White
- Seveneves – Neal Stephenson
- Also, Anathem
- The Way of Kings – Brandon Sanderson
- (also, pretty much anything this guy!)
- Master and Margarita – Mikhail Bulgakov
- The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
- A Wild Sheep Chase – Haruki Murakami
- The Road – Cormac McCarthy
- The Three-Body Problem (Trilogy) – Cixin Liu
- Understanding Physics – Isaac Asimov
- Commentaries on: The Gallic War – Julius Caesar
- What Is the Name of This Book – Raymond M. Smullyan
- Tilings and Patterns – Grunbaum & Shephard
- QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter – Richard P. Feynman
- Godel, Escher, Bach – Douglas R. Hofstadter